Construction activities which result in land disturbance of equal to or greater than one (1) acre, or less than one (1) acre if they are part of a larger common plan of development or sale that totals at least one (1) acre, are required to obtain the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality’s (DEQ’s) OKR10 permit.

The OKR10 permit does not include the discharges from construction activity which are related to oil and gas extraction, agricultural purposes, or located in Indian Country lands.  Obtaining OKR10 coverage fulfills your permit requirements on the state level; local municipalities are separate entities and may have different permit requirements.

OKR10 permitting procedures:

  1. First familiarize yourself with all the requirements in the OKR10 permit and develop a stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWP3) for your project.
    • If you will have a concrete or asphalt batch plant, you are subject to additional requirements (refer to Addendum F of the OKR10 permit).
    • If your project is immediately adjacent to a water of the state, you are subject to special buffer requirements (refer to Addendum H of the OKR10 permit).
  2. Complete a notice of intent (NOI)and return it to the DEQ along with your permit fees.
    • DEQ’s Flex Viewer can be used to find the nearest water body.
    • You will also need to submit your SWP3 for review if your project is:
      • greater than 40 acres
      • located within an Aquatic Resource of Concern (ARC)
      • located within an Outstanding Resource Water (ORW)
      • greater than 5 acres and located within the Lake Thunderbird watershed
  3. You will be notified by DEQ if more information is required.  Once you receive your authorization you may begin your project.  Your OKR10 permit does not cover any stormwater discharges that occur before your permit is issued.  While your project progresses, be sure you are following all the inspection, maintenance, training, and stabilization requirements as discussed in OKR10.
  4. Once you have finished your project and are confident that you have met all the necessary requirements, you may complete a notice of termination (NOT) and return it to DEQ.  DEQ will conduct an inspection to ensure the final stabilization requirements have been met. If your site is in compliance, you will receive notification stating that your authorization is terminated.  You will also receive notification if you have not met the stabilization requirements and your authorization will remain open.

The EPA’s guide and template for SWP3s, correction action report forms, inspection report templates can be found here.  In addition DEQ has also developed stormwater templates which are available for download here.